Reading this week.

Reading this week has been a bit problematic lately. I have a policy of never giving negative reviews because book taste is subjective and, as a writer myself, I am fully aware of how much work goes into producing even quite a short novel. You may have gathered that the posts should really be titled read last week because I never put up a book unless I know what it's like thus, a negative review is avoided. Since my last reading post I have read five novels and a novella. One Judith Cutler mystery from the Lina Townend series. This was a re-read so I knew I'd enjoy it even though I never quite know what's going on. This was followed by two chick-lit/contemporary romance novels which were frankly awful and so won't get a mention here. The first was the fifth novel from a popular indie author and was utterly flat. I read her first novel and had exactly the same criticisms of that novel but she sells well so what do I know? The second was published by Carina Press and although the premise was interesting the author used the same two words so many times I had a touch of the screaming habdabs before I finished it. I went on to read a Victorian set novel which sounded promising but was actually so boring I almost feel asleep over it. The novella was by the same author and although it was better that's the only good thing I have to say about it.

Cooking Up a StormFinally,a book I can mention: Cooking up a Storm by Sue Welfare. I had been looking at this book for ages before I finally downloaded it and this one lived up to its promise. It's a fun read about Sarah, a young woman whose life suddenly collapses around her so she moves to the country with her two little boys. I laughed out loud on more than one occasion and although at first I thought I knew who the hero would be, for long periods of the novel I really wasn't sure. Highly recommended if you're looking for something light and feel good.

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of this blog. How do I subscribe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Author, thank you for your nice comment. There's a "follow by e-mail box in the side bar of the blog which allows you to subscribe. I'm not posting much at the moment so you won't be overloaded with reading just yet!

      Delete

The Romance Reviews